2DD5LCI1OKRvAEHO74rYPJb3rX0

Nuffnang

Monday, November 21, 2011

The Best Tourist Spots in Seoul

More than a week ago, I was just another traveler dreaming of roaming the bustling streets of Seoul, one of the major megacities in Asia.

I have been enchanted by the Korean culture thanks to the countless dramas being shown onn Philippine TV today. These dramas show the very best of South Korea: the culture, the fashion and its people and they certainly have their own charm. 

And just like any other traveler, I was wondering which places to visit in Seoul. I checked online which places are best for someone like me, but the choices are just too overwhelming,

I just decided to come up with an itinerary when I land. 

No thanks to the complicated but very efficient subway system, I was able to explore Seoul from almost end to end without getting lost, and instead discovering interesting places along the way. 

Gyeongbokgung Palace

Changing of the guards ceremony
This is one of the major palaces and architectural wonders in Seoul. But the complex is too large for one to roam around in just one day so I decided to just check out the biggest and most popular gate. As it turned out, the main gate is located near Gwanghwamun.

Just outside the subway station, you will marvel at the statue of King Sejong, one of the most important leaders in South Korean history. Just walk past a garden surrounded by Ionic columns, cross the main street and you will be facing the facade of the main gate.

This is a great place to visit since it offers free entertainment in the form of the hourly changing of the guards. I was lucky enough to catch it and it's really something.

Cheonggyecheon Stream 
A definite favorite among locals, this 8.4 kilometer wonder starts at Gwanghwamun and ends at Jongno area. Since its opening in 2005, it has been a major tourism attraction in Seoul. Exhibits, parades and expositions are always held along the banks of the stream so there is always something to do in this area. 

The coffee shops and Western restaurants along the major roads parallel to the stream are also a big draw for local and foreign visitors alike.

Locals weary from their daily grind seek refuge along the banks of this multi-million architectural wonder. While during the night, thanks to the mostly cool weather in Seoul, the banks of the Cheonggyecheon stream become a haven for lovers walking hand in hand or for families taking a stroll.

To get there, take the subway line number 5 and get off at Gwanghwamun station. Take the exit number 5 for a direct exit to the stream.

Insadong

If you're after some pasalubong or souvenirs, then, Insadong is definitely the place to be. 

Here, you can find antique items, as well as traditional Korean masks and clothes. There are also several western cosmetic shops catering to the foreign crowd.

You can reach Insadong by taking the 1, 3, or 5 lines of the subway and get off at Jongro station. 
The complicated Seoul subway system

The entire stretch of Insadong is lined up with antique stores, restaurants, food stalls and stores selling all kinds of mementos from Seoul. I found it interesting as well that even locals, probably the provinces frequent this area to buy souvenirs for their loved ones. 

Itaewon 

This place is commonly regarded by locals as a dump for foreigners, primarily aging servicemen from the nearby American base. But Itaewon definitely has it own charms. The street is filled with Western restaurants ranging from KFC to Burger King. Stores selling bigger-sized shirts are aplenty as well. 

One of the main reasons why foreigners frequent Itaewon is the availability of Western Bars in the area.

One place I was able to visit was Dillingers and seven pm on a Monday, it was packed by tourists coming from virtually all continents of the world. 

Interestingly, it is also considered as the sex and gay spots in Seoul. There is a place called Hooker Hill in Itaewon, as well as a Homo Hill.

I'm not exactly sure how these names came about but trust me when I say that you don't wanna get caught hanging around in those areas especially as South Korea is very conservative when it comes to sexuality. 

Namdaemun Market 
Namdaemun Market

A vendor preparing fish sticks
If you have a relatively small budget and you're after your money's worth, then Namdaemun Market is for you. The place is virtually a pirate haven as every stall sells counterfeit items ranging from your fake Prada bags to your fake Nike shoes. 

But what's interesting in this market is the abundance of winter clothes (fur ones included) at amazingly cheap rates. 

The food stalls selling octopus, fish sticks, Korean barbecue and jeongul are also a must try. 

a view from the N Seoul Tower
To get to Namdaemun market, take the subway line 4 and get off at Hoehyeon. 

N Seoul Tower

Whoever your are, no matter where you come from, chances are you are likely to visit the N Seoul Tower. 

This structure, the tallest in all of Seoul, gives you a bird's eye view of the entire city. 

This place is also popular because of the cable car at the top of the tower. Roaming around the tower is free but getting inside and using the cable car are not.

It is also interesting to visit the surrounding Namsan (south mountain) Park. Most people go directly to the tower but I found hiking into the mountain quite relaxing.

If you're lucky, you will be able to watch free martial arts or musical exhibition right at the base of the tower. This is one of the free sights you can enjoy in Seoul.


To get to the N Seoul Tower, tale the subway line 3 or 4, and get off at Chungmuro area. From the exit, you can take a Namsan tour bus (bus number 2).

Photos taken using Samsung Galaxy Tab























38 comments:

  1. hanks for sharing nice post..I have been looking information on tourist places.
    This discussion has solve my concern to a great extent..I am very grateful.....

    best hotels in Chandigarh

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks as well for checking out my blog. im glad that you find my post useful. i gave direction on which subway lines to use to make it easier for travelers to visit these places....

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi guys, i added more pics to make it more visually appealling heehhee

    ReplyDelete
  4. you added more pictures!!!! it makes ur blog all the more pleasing to the eye.

    congrats!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @juanderboy, yup I did. I got lots of requests for more seoul pics so I finally gave in.

    I added pictures of various locations so I hope they become useful.

    Hope you like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Concise and interesting, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do agreed with your post all spots are awesome. you can explore more beauty from Pakistan and if you are applying tour visa you can easily get cheap flights to pakistan so you have remove your traveling expense as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. was it early fall or latter part na ng fall ka pumunta ng korea kasi parang hindi masyadong bright yung kulay ng mga dahon pero maganda pa rin tingnan sa background.nice photos

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi melvin,

    i went there last week od november, almost winter time kaya hindi na ganun ka bright yung colors ng mga leaves and hindi na din ganun ka crips but still the autumn leaves are beautiful and seoul is gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks for sharing hope to seem them in the future too... =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks for expressing good publish. I have been searching information on tourist places until I find travel agents that was a good one.
    This conversation has clear up my dilemma to a great scope. I am extremely gracious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Saarthak Travels Solution, as a privately owned Travel agency in Delhi has offered tour and travel services to guests since 18 years. They provide various tour packages in reasonable rates like Himachal Tour Package and many others.
    Go for Video

    ReplyDelete
  15. In all, none within your idle moments are lost due to absence of prospects to present your body the treatment it justifies.



    my website; adjustable weights

    ReplyDelete
  16. Instead of performing the physical exercise the
    standard way, with a huge barbell and also a bench to
    support it, you could do it on a smaller and lighter bench you can buy in any sports activities keep for 40 or fifty bucks
    and also a couple of dumbbells.

    my website; bowflex selecttech 552 dumbbells

    ReplyDelete
  17. We must seek for destinations magazine that would help you know about the place that you would like to visit. A magazine that is full of information about the place and the experience that you might get into. A simple browsing on the internet might be helpful for you.

    http://www.travel-buff.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Also, the machines are usually not moved as soon as set up, so that they are
    frequently not knocked about in almost any manner.

    My web blog bowflex adjustable dumbbells

    ReplyDelete
  19. Would you golf, perform tennis, or take part in
    actions that need rotation?

    my webpage - gym machines

    ReplyDelete
  20. Should you are new to workout, always consult your doctor before beginning any physical fitness regimen.


    Feel free to surf to my webpage; free weights for sale

    ReplyDelete
  21. It isn't all of that frequently that a very practical innovation is established for that house health club industry.

    Here is my blog post - just click the next article

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have got the top device, learn how to utilize it.

    Here is my blog post; dumbbell skull crushers

    ReplyDelete
  23. The very last decade has found an explosion in DVD work out packages.



    Feel free to surf to my web page ... http://www.getfitnstrong.com/bowflex-dumbbells/reviewing-bowflex-selectt...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Not surprisingly, it is also crucial that you keep in mind that a couple of workout routines by themselves usually are not
    going to get you the effects you might be looking for.

    my homepage click the next site

    ReplyDelete
  25. Individuals who begin their initially exercise program, and perhaps anyone
    who has earlier exercised in a single form or
    yet another in many cases are not very proficient about quite
    a few suitable matters.

    Here is my website: Website URL

    ReplyDelete
  26. Whats up! I just want to give a huge thumbs up for the great info you could have right here on this post.

    I shall be coming again to your weblog for more soon.

    My blog :: semi double?„使?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Whats up! I just wish to give a huge thumbs up for the nice info you will have
    right here on this post. I shall be coming back to your blog for more soon.


    Here is my blog post; seohyun and yonghwa we got married ep 17

    ReplyDelete
  28. Whats up! I just want to give a huge thumbs up for the nice information you have right here on
    this post. I shall be coming again to your blog for more soon.


    Here is my webpage 自然排序

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi there! I just wish to give an enormous thumbs up for the nice information you could
    have right here on this post. I will likely be coming again to your
    weblog for more soon.

    Also visit my website: semaphore timeouts windows shares

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello! I simply would like to give an enormous thumbs up for the good info you
    will have here on this post. I will be coming back to your blog for extra soon.


    my web site; we got married seohyun yonghwa episode 1

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi there! I simply would like to give a huge thumbs up
    for the good data you could have right here on this post.
    I will probably be coming again to your weblog for extra soon.


    My website :: semantic web definition

    ReplyDelete
  32. Good day! I simply would like to give an enormous thumbs up
    for the good information you’ve right here on this post.
    I shall be coming back to your weblog for more soon.

    my website; seo tools for excel download

    ReplyDelete
  33. So on this write-up I will try to answer the question of the working day so to speak.


    Stop by my webpage click the up coming website

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hello! I just want to give a huge thumbs up for the great data you’ve gotten here on this post.
    I will probably be coming again to your blog for extra soon.


    Here is my web-site ... seo companies in india list

    ReplyDelete
  35. You'll be able to get some extras such as Lat Tower, the Ab Back Pad for ab work outs, or possibly a rack to store the weights.

    Take a look at my homepage ... Going On this page

    ReplyDelete
  36. Its really very interesting and amazing blog..Thanks for sharing this nice blog..

    South Korea Holidays 2015

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget

Visitors

free counters