Saturday, June 4, 2016

A Visit To St. Paul’s Cathedral in Melbourne, Australia






Whenever I travel, one of the first places I visit are the local churches.
I am not very religious but I have always admired the varying architectural designs of the world’s many churches. Also, churches reflect the mood and the style of the people who worship in them.
During my recent visit to Melbourne, I happily stumbled upon the massive St. Paul’s Cathedral located along the intersection of Swanston and Flinders Streets. You can say that these two are the most busiest thoroughfares in Melbourne and is considered as the central business district of the city.
This neo-Gothic style church was constructed in 1885 upon the location of what was previously a very small church. It mas made bigger and grander to accommodate the growing Anglican faith of the people of Melbourne.
It was designed by famous British English architect William Butterfield. The church is considered as his very last materpiece. It followed the neo-Gothic style of architecture which was prevalent during the late 18th to 19th century.
Inside, St. Paul’s Cathedral is a magnificent work of art with gorgeous pillars, domes and windows. The place becomes even more mysterious and captivating with rays of lights passing through the stained glass windows.
On that hot summer day, I went inside the church and prayed for protection and good health for my loved ones. I also prayed for the resolution of the many wars in the world. I also prayed for the strength to lead a righteous life.
After my prayers, I still couldn’t help but linger inside the church as I marvel as its beauty.
Below are some pictures of the cathedral:



0 comments:

Post a Comment